What can I do about debt recovery action by the ATO?
If you have received an assessment in relation to GST, income tax, or administrative penalties and not paid the tax debt, the Australian Taxation Office (‘ATO’) may commence debt collection processes against you.
ATO debt collection
The ATO is aggressively pursuing companies and other taxpayers for unpaid tax debts. In the case of companies, the ATO may take steps to recover unpaid tax debts by:
- issuing a garnishee notice to your company’s bankers;
- issuing a director’s penalty notice to each of the directors;
- serving a statutory demand on the company;
- commencing legal proceedings for the amount of the debt; or
- making an application to wind up the company.
Our team of experts can provide you with advice and assistance with the matters related to recovery action by the ATO. Call Robson Hayes Legal on (08) 9322 2256 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your problems with us. For more information you can also visit